Finding a Magnificently Short Brand and Product Name
Company naming, product naming and service naming follow similar developmental processes. But there are some unique challenges when it comes to naming a product and a service.
In product and service naming, consideration must be given to congruity with the brand line, product line, and the organization as a whole. The product name should support the overall strategic planning decisions of your firm.
For example product naming, it’s not necessary that the product name be the same as the company name. In fact, unless your firm only offers the one product and you don’t ever plan on expanding, your business and product will have different names.
Whereas, in the case of a single product company, we recommend that the product name, company name and the domain name all be identical. Therefore you’re streamlining your operation.
In general a product is a tangible good, thereby something that you can feel and touch. Oppositely , a service is intangible, there’s nothing to touch or move. Furthermore there are hybrid goods where the company provides a customer with both a physical good and an intangible service.
For the purpose of simplicity, we will use the term “product” in reference to both goods and services in our tips for naming a product below.
5 Characteristics of a Formidable Brand Name:
- Name Length Matters. When choosing a new name for a product, length matters. In most cases, a successful name for a product is fewer than 11 characters. So you will want to ensure that the name of your product is tightly focused. Research shows, the longer the name, the greater the chance for confusion, mix-ups and misspellings.
- Dot-COM Domain Name Availability. It is essential that the dot-com domain name be available for the product. It’s important that that product name and the domain name be identical. For example Proctor & Gamble must own Tide.com for their laundry detergent Tide. This is a key consideration when choosing a product name. If you can’t procure the domain name for your product you MUST move on to another name. Using a Domain Name Extension that is not the dot-com will only lead your customers to the wrong site, and this just may be your competition.
- Spelling Counts. A good product name is easy to spell. Ideally, the perfect name should have only one spelling option; there should be only one way to spell the name. The more alternatives there are in the spelling of a prospective product name, the more likely a firm is to confuse or lose customers.
- In the first place our global marketplace has settled on English as the clear language of choice for global business. Additionally the dot-com domain extension has emerged as the domain extension of global business. The best names for a product may be in the preferred language of a region but should have a clear English translation.
- Alphabetic Characters When creating a name for a product, the selection SHOULD NOT contain numbers or hyphens. There are a few isolated cases where hyphens and numbers can be used effectively but in general hyphens, numbers and other characters like &^$#@* pose challenges and careful design to avoid consumer confusion.
- For example, picture two people talking about your product name? One person is trying to explain where the ampersand goes in the name, or is trying to explain that the dollar sign really represents an “s.” It’s just going to confuse people.
- Global Implications If you are planning on selling your products outside of your home country you should consider the universal appeal of your product name. The best names for global products should have a global appeal and be culturally non-offensive.
We hope this article was useful as your create a name for your company product. We welcome your comments and suggestions and we’re available to help you in your product naming activities. Our naming specialists can help you select the right name for your product. A great product name is just a call or click away.
To locate a name for your product you will want to start your search here: Search Product Names.
Trending Topics and Articles:
Naming A Business 11 Must Know Factors
Testimonials Client Feedback
Elements Of A Great Logo
Business Plan Template For A Start Up Business
Custom Company Naming
Clever Names For A Company
Random Brand Company Name Generator
Construction Company Name Generator
How To Find Available Domain Names
Finding The Perfect Company Name
10 Point Guide Sample Business Plan For A Start Up Business
Why Great Start Ups Start With Brandings
How Brandings Can Help Brand Your Business
About Domain Names
Company Name Generator
Understanding Your Firm’s Strategy
Cool Technology Company Names
Master Naming Blender Blunder
Elements Of Brand Positioning
Custom Website Development